15 bought or homemade Welsh cakes
250g digestive biscuits
400g cream cheese
250g mascarpone cheese
100g caster sugar
75g golden caster sugar
100ml double cream
3 large eggs
½ tsp nutmeg, plus extra for the base
20g raisins, chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 140 C fan
2. Crush the biscuits in a bag with a rolling pin, add a sprinkle of nutmeg.
3. Melt the butter then add the biscuits, mix well then use to line the bottom of a 23cm spring form tin. Add a layer of Welsh cakes approx. 8. Chill.
4. Whip the double cream, then add the cream cheese, mascarpone, sugar, and eggs, beat well with an electric mixer, until well combined. Then stir through the nutmeg, raisins and zest.
5. Break up 6-7 Welsh cakes by hand and mix through the cream mix, then pour on top of the biscuits and Welsh cake base.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave in the oven until cool, it should still have a wobble.
Once cool refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours, then remove from the tin and serve with Bara Brith ice cream.
If you have Welsh cakes which are a bit past their best and maybe a bit dry, then this recipe will give them a new lease of life.
Let me know if there any more recipe you would like me to post.