with Maple buttercream
For the sponge:
120g light brown sugar
120g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp mixed spice, ground ginger, cinnamon & nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 175 fan/190 C.
3. Cream the sugar and stork together, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, until light and creamy.
4. Add 2 eggs and a handful of the flour, mix on low until combined and then turn the mixer up to high.
5. Continue to add the eggs one at a time, keeping the mixer on high.
6. Add the flour, spices and a pinch of salt and mix on low until just combined. Fill 12 cupcake liners.
7. Bake for 12-16 mins, they should be well risen golden brown and a skewer inserted should come out clean.
500g icing sugar
250g Moose maple butter (room temperature)
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1. Beat the sugar and butter together on low until light and creamy.
If you can't get hold of the Moose maple butter, substitute it for normal butter and add extra maple syrup to taste.