115g baking margarine
115g caster sugar, plus extra for rolling out
2 large free-range eggs
125g self-raising flour
225g mixed dried fruit
75g glacé cherries, quartered
Cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150C/130C Fan/Gas 2.
2. Line the base and sides of a 6 inch round cake tin.
3. Beat the margarine and sugar together until creamy. Add one egg and a scoop of flour beat until well mixed. Add the other egg and beat again, stir in the rest of the four and all the fruit.
4. Sprinkle a little icing sugar on a work surface and roll out a 6inch round of marzipan. Fill the tin half full with cake mix, add the marzipan round then the rest of the cake mix.
5. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tin, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
6. Brush the top of the cake with a thin layer of jam. Cut out another round of marzipan using the cake tin, use this to top the cake.
7. Roll 11mini balls with the remaining marzipan. Put the balls around the edge of the cake, using the jam to stick them in place. Dust with cocoa powder.