With clotted cream and fresh strawberries, this has to be one of my absolute favourite treats, this recipe has been handed down for 3 generations, and although I have made a few adjustments, it is foolproof.
Perfect served with homemade jam...
Buttermilk Scone Recipe
450g self-raising flour
115g Margarine (I use Stork)
115g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
1 egg (beaten)
1. Sift the flour & salt in a large bowl. Cut the margarine into small pieces & rub into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the sugar & add enough buttermilk to make a soft but not sticky dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, knead lightly the rollout to approximately ½ an inch thick and cut out rounds.
4. Place on a baking tray and brush the tops with the gg, careful not to drip down the sides.
5. Bake at 180 C fan for 12-14 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.