Roasted Ox Heart
For the ox heart
1 x ox heart (trimmed of most but not all of the fat and the stringy hard parts)
500ml fresh beef stock
Salt & pepper
2 fresh bay leaves
½ bottle of red wine
1. Brine the heart in salt water (approx 30 mins).
2. Stuff the heart and tie tight.
3. Brown the heart in the casserole dish.
4. Add the wine and boil to burn off some of the alcohol.
5. Add the stock, carrots, leeks and season.
6. Broil on the hob for approx. 30 mins, put a piece of baking paper under the lid to form a tight seal.
7. Then in the oven at 160 C for approx. 30 mins.
8. Then remove the lid and roast at 180 C for approx. 10 mins.
9. Leave to rest before serving. (approx. 20 mins)
For the stuffing
1 large free range egg
300g brown breadcrumbs
30 dried mixed mushrooms
200g chestnut mushrooms
200g smoked bacon lardons
1 x large onion
Ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves
1. Fry the bacon.
2. Remove the bacon and fry the garlic, onion and both mushrooms, gently add butter and oil if needed.
In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs, egg, parsley, bacon and mushroom mix, season and combine to form the stuffing.