Traditional Roast Turkey
5 kg turkey, ready for the oven
2 bay leaves
Small bunch of thyme
Ground black pepper
Sea salt flakes
1. Take the turkey out of the fridge 1-2 hours before roasting, to bring it back to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. Season the turkey thoroughly inside and out with the sea salt flakes and black pepper. Add the bay leaves and thyme into the cavity.
3. Add the turkey to the roasting tin breast side down. Cook for 40-45 mins per kilo, flipping the turkey over for the last hour of cooking.
4. You can check that the turkey is cooked using a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, it should read, 65C. If you don't have a meat thermometer, pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a skewer, it is cooked if the juices run clear.
5. Rest the turkey for 45-60 mins, this will allow the turkey to reabsorb it's juices and will prevent you turkey being dry.