For the Filling
6-8 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
For the Crumble
300g Plain Flour
100g caster sugar
65g soft brown sugar
50g mix nuts, chopped
50g rolled oats
165g butter chilled and cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C fan.
2. Put the apple in an ovenproof dish, add the sugar, ginger and water, mix well (I tend to add less sugar, then taste the rhubarb once cooked and add more if required)
3. Cook the rhubarb for 20-25 mins, until soft.
4. Meanwhile, make the crumble: If you're using a food processor add the flour and a pinch of salt, add the butter, pulse until the consistency is like breadcrumbs, don't over mix. Alternatively, add the flour and salt to a bowl, rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mix resembles bread crumbs.
5. Stir through the sugar, nuts and oats.
6. Taste the rhubarb, I often take off some of the liquid as rhubarb can be quite wet.
7. Top the rhubarb with the crumble and put back in the oven and bake for a further 20-30 mins until the topping is golden brown.
8. Serve warm with custard.
Crumble is so versatile, you can add any flavours to the fruit and add all sorts of toppings to the crumble to make it your own.
Best served with homemade custard!