300g plain flour
200g butter (120g frozen)
1 large free range egg
1. Mix the flour and salt in a food processor, dice the chilled butter and add to the processor and pulse until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Add enough water to form a dough.
3. Roll into a rectangle and grate over half the frozen butter.
4. Fold in a book fold.
5. Roll into a rectangle and repeat with the rest of the frozen butter.
6. Wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
7. You will need to do 3 further book folds resting the pastry in the fridge for 30 mins between each turn.
8. Roll out the pastry and use.
It is very important to keep pastry as cold as possible. My mother always told me my hands were too warm to make pastry… so, as I did on Britain’s Best Home Cook, I always wash my hands in very cold water, I have a metal rolling pin which is filled with water to stay chilled.