Gingerbread is such a fun thing to make with kids and it lasts well. We tend to only make gingerbread at Christmas time but it could be made all year round. We like to tie a ribbon on ours and hang them on the Christmas tree.
150g muscovado sugar
3tbsp golden syrup
450g plain flour
1/2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 160 fan. Add the butter, sugar and syrup to a small sauce pan. Heat the mix over a medium-low heat, until fully melted.
2. Sift the flour, bicarb, ginger and a pinch of salt into a large bowl.
3. Pour the melted butter mix into the flour and mix together, until a dough is formed.
4. Roll out on a lightly dusted surface and cut into fun shapes, lift using a spatula onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Use can use a straw to make a hole in the top of the biscuit here if you want to hang them.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, the dough will be golden brown but will be a little soft. Place on a cooling rack to cool.
Royal Icing Ingredients:
1 egg white
200g icing sugar, sifted
a little water
1. Beat the egg white until frothy, add the icing sugar and beat for 3-5 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Add a little lemon juice and keep beating. Add a little water to get a pipable consistency.