For the curd:
3 egg yolks
175g caster sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
1. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the egg yolk, sugar, lemon juice, and gin to the bowl and whisk. Once the sugar has dissolved gradually add the butter, keep whisking until it started to thicken. Once it coats the back of a spoon, remove from the heat and place in a jar, it will firm up once cooled.
For the tonic simple syrup:
75ml tonic water
15 juniper berries, crushed
1. Heat the sugar and tonic water, with the berries, bring to the boil, until it has a runny syrup consistency. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly then stir through the gin. Spoon over the warm cupcakes.
For the Sponge:
3 eggs (weighed in their shells)
Cooking margarine/butter, caster sugar and self raising flour all weighed to the same weight as the eggs
Zest of 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 a lime
10 juniper berries, finely ground
1. Preheat the oven to 170C fan.
2. Beat the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy.
3. Add one egg, and 2 tbsp of the flour, beat slowly at first then increase to full speed, add each egg in turn. Beat for a further 2 mins.
4. Add the zest and berries. Add the remaining flour with a pinch of salt and beat on the lowest setting until just combined.
5. Spoon into baking cases and cook for approx. 15 mins, allow to cool completely on a wire rack before decorating.
For the Buttercream:
300g icing sugar
Gin to taste
Lemon and Lime juice to taste
1. Beat the butter until light and creamy.
2. Add half the icing sugar and beat slowly until combined, then add the second half of the icing sugar along with the lemon & lime juice & the gin, continue to beat slowly, until fully combined.