Makes 3-4 jars
I love to eat chutney especially with the cheeseboard at Christmas time, bit I especially love making my own chutney, both to eat and give away as gifts to family and friends.
450g plums, stoned & chopped
450g pears, chopped
22g brambly apple, cored & peeled
225g celery, sliced
450g onions, sliced
450g, peeled & quartered
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp pickling spice
850ml apple cider vinegar
450g granulated sugar
1. Add all the fruit , vegetables, ginger and raisins, to a large saucepan or preserving pan.
2. Add the pickling spice, either sapped in muslin or in a tea strainer.
3. Add half of the vinegar and bring to the boil, simmer for around 2 hours.
4. stir through the remainder of the vinegar and the sugar, stir well, then boil until a thick chutney like consistency.
5. Add to sterilised jars. store in a cool dark place, the flavours will develop more the longer you keep the chutney!