Cheesy Onion Rings
Seen on Britains Best Home Cook 2018
I chose to make cheesy onion rings to go with my Welsh Rarebit Burger on Britain’s Best Home Cook because I absolutely love onion rings and I don’t think a burger meal is complete without them!
Usually, I make beer battered onion rings (I will post the recipe soon), but when designing my dish for the show I was conscious that it was fairly ordinary so I wanted the onion rings to stand out and be something different, so cheesy onions rings were born!! And Mary Berry loved them!!
The recipe is a little bit fiddly but the results are amazing, these would make a lovely treat for your friends and family. If you do make them post you results on insta and tag me @katiedavies85 so I can see!
2 large onions
200g Welsh Mature Cheddar Cheese
Groundnut oil (to fill the deep fat fryer)
150g Self-raising flour
300g stale white breadcrumbs
1. Slice the onions into 1 cm think rings.
2. Missing out one ring stuff two rings with cheese, make 8.
3. Place on baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour.
4. Season the flour and breadcrumbs, with salt pepper and paprika.
5. When ready to fry, dip in seasoned flour, then the beaten eggs, then the seasoned breadcrumbs.
6. Deep fry for approx. 3 minutes at 180C in deep fat fryer, if you don’t have a deep fat fryer, use a thermometer to get the correct temperature in a pan of oil.
7. Remove and drain on kitchen roll.
When making these onions rings it is important to ensure the onion ring is completely coated with both flour and egg to ensure the breadcrumbs stick.