Extra Special Cauliflower Cheese
Cauliflower cheese is a staple in our house, but I like to make mine a little bit more special with the addition of bacon, leeks and garlic...
With these additions it makes a lovely supper served with freshly baked homemade bread.
1 head of cauliflower, cut in florets
2 rashers of streaky bacon, but into strips
1 leek, finely sliced
150g grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. Whole grain mustard
80g cheddar cheese (to top)
1. Preheat the oven to 220 C/200 C fan.
2. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes, then drain. Once cooled slightly add to a roasting dish.
3. Add the bacon and the leek to a frying pan and cook on a medium to high heat until the bacon is turning crispy and the leeks are soft. When ready spoon over the cauliflower.
4. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the flour and stir continuously to form a thick past, remove from the heat and add the milk, return to the heat and whisk continuously until it thickens. Once thick remove from the heat and stir through the grated cheese and the mustard.
5. Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower, then top with the additional cheese. Cook in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until golden brown. Serve hot.