For the filling
6-8 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2-3 tbsp soft brown sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
2-3 tbsp water
For the Crumble
300g Plain Flour
100g caster sugar
65g golden caster sugar
165g butter chilled & cubed
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C fan.
2. Put the apple in an oven proof dish, add the sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and water, mix well (I tend to add less sugar, then taste the apple once cooked and add more if required)
3. Cook the apple for 20- 30 mins, until soft but holding its shape.
4. Meanwhile, make the crumble: If you're using a food processor add the flour and a pinch of salt, add the butter, pulse until the consistency is like breadcrumbs, don't over mix. Alternatively, add the flour and salt to a bowl, rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mix resembles bread crumbs.
5. Stir through the sugar.
6. Crush the apple lightly with a potato mashers (optional).
7. Top the apple with the crumble and put back in the oven and bake for a further 20-30 mins until the topping is golden brown.
8. Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.